The last weekend of October, crowds of costumed festival-goers take over the streets of downtown Asheville. Halloween sets the tone for a little late night noise, but Moogfest is so much more than that. Named in honor of Bob Moog, a sonic pioneer and inventor who called Asheville home for 30 years, Moogfest is a two-day event that draws fans of electronic music from around the world.
Here's ten reasons to visit Asheville, NC on October 26 and 27, 2012:1. Electronic music. The obvious number one reason to attend Moogfest. If you're into electronica, this is the event of the year. The line-up includes Orbital, Miike Snow, Santigold, Squarepusher, Shpongle, Black Moth Super Rainbow, The Magnetic Fields... over 30 acts in total.
2. Multiple venues host Moogfest. The urban festival format allows ticket-holders to check out some of Asheville's best stages, including the intimate Asheville Music Hall, the sound-enhancing Diana Wortham Theater, and the much-loved Orange Peel.
3. Primus 3-D. You know Primus. Now get ready to know Primus up-close-and-personal-in-your-face. 3-D glasses provided at the door.
4. This year's hip-hop edge. Moogfest adds a dash of rap this year with favorites like Nas, Death Grips, GZA, and Killer Mike.
6. Invisible: The New Obsolete. A manual typewriter that controls a synthesizer? Presented in conjunction with the Asheville Art Museum, this exhibition is the work of instrument maker Mark Dixon. Tickets are available at a discount to Moog attendees.
7. Artist sightings aplenty. Dozens of notable electronic musicians in one place means you'll spot them everywhere around town: eating at Asheville's best restaurants, perusing art galleries, shopping at The Grove Arcade, and buying organic carrot juice at Greenlife.
9. The whole city gets involved. Bars and dining establishments will be geared up and expecting hundreds of Moog music fans. There's sure to be after-shows you won't want to miss.
10. Asheville is an amazing place. While you're in town, stick around and check out the River Arts District, the hip and happening Westside, nearly twenty local microbreweries (this is Beer City USA), and, of course, the surrounding Blue Ridge Mountains.
Carolina Mornings, Asheville's premiere provider of vacation rental cabins, can hook you up with a sweet spot to stay during Moogfest, and beyond. With dozens of cabin locations available, and plenty of pet-friendly properties, Carolina Mornings gives you options. Call our Vacation Planners today to reserve a luxury mountain vacation rental!