March 17, 2009

What makes for a great hike? Views and Wildflowers!

The Smoky Mountain Hiking Blog has a great post that provides basic information on North Carolina wildflowers and what time of year is best to see them (mid-April through mid-July, varying depending on what you want to see).















photo credit: Flickr, David Bryant's photostream

The post also provides a list of great hikes for viewing springtime wildflowers. I wish I could vouch for these hikes, or at least some of them, but I've actually never done a single one! I'm pretty glad to find a list of new (to me) hikes, so I plan on changing that myself this season. If you choose to go on one, post a comment or send an email and let's swap reviews!

This is also probably a good time to experience Smoky National Park, because there is a smaller projected number of visitors than usual. While I'm sure there will still be plenty of people nearby on your hike, the crowds probably won't be as bad in this very popular park this year.

------
If you need a place to stay while you check out the wildflowers of Smoky Mountain National Park, Carolina Mornings has plenty of places to put you up. Give us a call or visit the web site! We look forward to speaking with you.

No comments: